We, the people of Tula
Dear Tula Friends and Fans! We appreciate your support and are so humbled by your love through the years! Thank you for your beautiful photos that you send us or post on our Facebook and Instagram pages. Thank you for spreading the Tula Love. Thank you for all the questions we receive daily. Thank you for being the most fun and enthusiastic group of fans we have EVER met or even ever heard of. You are what makes Tula so special and so amazing. Thank you! We are forever grateful and therefore will always listen to ALL your feedback and respond to your requests.
Ever since we started our company (please click here to see how we began our adventure),we have worked to improve our carriers and service to better suit the needs of our customers. With so many questions and curiosity about Tula behind the scenes, we have decided to create this post to give you a little peek into Tula’s story: where it’s made, how it’s made and the people behind it.
Some fun and interesting facts about Tula Carriers:
* Tula was founded at the end of 2009 while Mike and Ula (the owners) lived in Poland.
* In 2011 Mike and Ula moved to the USA with an intention to produce and sell carriers only in Europe. Meeting the local babywearing group inspired us to introduce our carriers to the babywearers in the US.
* With the growing demand, we opened a production facility in Mexico, just 30 minutes away from our San Diego office. Mike and Ula went to college with the owner of our facility in Mexico.
* The first year of operating in Poland, all the Tulas were packaged by Ula and Mike. Mike carried them from our apartment to the post office in the snow. He didn’t speak any Polish but became a favorite customer and every time Ula came to drop off boxes, the women in the post office were slightly disappointed haha
* 75% !!! of the Tula Team in San Diego are parents and they babywear.
* Tula is a product of love for our children and babywearing, but it is also a product of finding a way to support our family while wanting to stay close to my sick mother in Poland. In 2009, we moved to Poland to live closer to my parents when my mom was diagnosed with cancer. I wanted to be close to her and needed to find a way to stay. We created this business with a goal of selling 1 carrier a day.
* Our operations manager in Poland has a background in philosophy. Most of our employees have a background in teaching or humanities. We operate very differently than most businesses.
* The seamstresses in both of our locations follow Tula’s Facebook page and are proud to be a part of a product, which brings so much happiness to families!
* Our name used to be Tuli, which derives from a Polish word “to hug.” When we needed to change our name, we wanted it to be different, yet similar enough so it didn’t confuse our previous customers. We found Tula, a “girl version” of Tuli. haha.. Also, TULA contains Ula’s name and her last name initial T.
* The Tula Team consists of people with diverse backgrounds and, among all of us, we speak 7 languages (8, if count Baby Sign Language) … oh… and Mike speaks his own language, that none of us understands, so 9!!!!
* We wear flip-flops to the office and there is a surfboard holding court in the lunchroom
* Our logo is a BEAR
*Our wrap conversion carriers are made with love in Poland. Our canvas carriers are made with love in Poland and Mexico. We visit both facilities on a regular basis.
*We have a quality control point in Poland where our Made in Poland carriers are inspected. We have two quality control points for our Made in Mexico carriers – one in Mexico, and one in San Diego, California.
*We use high quality fabrics for all of our carriers. Fabrics used to make our Made in Poland carriers are sourced from Poland and the USA. Fabrics used to make our Made in Mexico carriers are sourced entirely from the USA.
*Since day one, we have used the highest quality, military-grade Duraflex buckles for all of our carriers in both locations. The Duraflex buckles used in our Made in Poland carriers are sourced from the European Duraflex distributor. The Duraflex buckles used in our Made in Mexico carriers are purchased in the USA and these are made in the USA using raw materials from the USA. Duraflex buckles comply with the Berry Amendment for domestic production. (Please be sure to check out our instructional video below on how to properly and safely buckle the Tula carrier)
* In addition, and in conjunction with testing to meet ASTM and CPSC norms for BCIA, carriers from both locations are undergoing a rigorous third-party assessment of our materials from an independent laboratory. These tests include phthalates, heavy metals and chemicals, amongst many other key test items. We already have good news and now are looking forward to receiving this certification.
*In response to some of your questions on how to properly use Tula products, we have created instructional videos, which we hope you will find useful!
Have you seen the informational video on how to safely use your Tula Baby Carrier?
We are so humbled by your love and support of Tula through the years. We are here to assist you, to listen, and to make the most comfortable and safe carriers using prints that will make you feel like a rock star.
Let me introduce you to some of our team members! <3
Our production facility in Mexico. These people have been with us since 2012 Carmen, the women wearing glasses (on the left), is the floor manager:
And a little peek into our production in Poland. This is Dorota, our floor manager:
If you ever communicated with our office in Poland, you may have met Eva!